Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Uncle Shorty and Aunt Betty

In late August, my Uncle Shorty became very sick and was admitted to the hospital. He was suffering from renal failure. He and his wife, my Aunt Betty, had just celebrated their 56th wedding anniversary. She went home for the night because she didn't have her medicines and planned to go back the next morning to stay with him until he was better. That night, she had an anuerysm and was rushed to the same hospital he was in. She passed away the next morning. I truly believe she couldn't bear losing her husband. Uncle Shorty has gotten sicker. He can not tolerate dialysis because he is also suffering from congestive heart failure. After a few weeks in the hospital, Uncle Shorty was sent home for his last days. Monday, his family was told this is the beginning of the end. He is no long eating or drinking or speaking. We went last weekend to see him, and he was still able to speak, and he knew who we were. I am so glad I was able to spend some time with him. Uncle Shorty was my daddy's brother and best friend, and Aunt Betty was a sister to my mama. I know what it's like to lose your parents, but I can't imagine what it's like to lose them so close together. Please pray for my cousins as they go through this and pray that my Uncle Shorty does not suffer.

No comments: